We’re rightly proud of our market town identity. That’s why our plan will back independent businesses and attract a wide range of unique new retailers. So our town becomes a destination for shoppers and entrepreneurs alike.
We want your town centre experience to be enjoyable and stress-free. So we’ll protect parking provision, like the Flat Iron car park and keep our streets well-maintained and litter-free.
Our town should be a destination for everyone, day or night. That’s why our plan supports entertainment and culture, so families and revellers have the choice to enjoy a great night out.
Importantly, we’ll do all this whilst listening to your views and those of existing traders and businesses.
To achieve our vision we will:
- Offer new choices by building a wider leisure and restaurant complex on the former Royal Oak and Gala Bingo site.
- Give shoppers a wider range of quality stores by attracting specialist traders, independent businesses and lifestyle outlets to our town.
- Incentivise and encourage artisan traders with a targeted grant scheme, giving new businesses the chance to succeed and grow here.
- Improve our famous market with a programme of improvements; introduce new attractions like summer evening and artisan markets, as well as a ‘food court style’ layout.
- Give our markets the facilities they need, including a semi permanent purpose built outdoor space.
- Plan to create a new Business Park, served by a new motorway junction. A new destination for enterprise in the North West.
- Get the basics right by protecting car parking spaces, like at our railway station, supporting transport links and easing congestion.